MAY 17, 2012

Oncologist Appointment:

We just got back from our first oncology appointment with Dr. Wilder. We were hoping to get a complete plan of action today but they want to do additional test on the tumor/tissue to determine the best form of chemo. From what we know now, the mass removed was relatively small, the lymph ┬ánodes are clear and the breast is clear of cancer as far as they can see. However the type of cancer found inside the mass is a very aggressive form. We can not see all of the tiny cells that may be wondering in her blood stream. In order for the cancer to not surface elsewhere in her body, such as her bone, brain, liver, lungs etc… An aggressive chemo will be necessary.

The breast tissue / mass has to go through a test called an Oncotype DX. This test determines the biology of the cancer and will tell us the exact type of chemo needed. The test takes about two weeks to get results back. So our vacation next week will come at the perfect timing.

We will meet with Dr Wilder when she gets the test results back. As of right now her predictions are six months of chemo (every two weeks), radiation every day for six weeks and an oral pill for five years.

Chemotherapy and the pill will both decrease Heather’s ability to reproduce. We have an appointment with the fertility doctor to discuss options to help preserve what we can. Still no promises. This is one of the hardest parts for both Heather and I.

7 Responses to MAY 17, 2012

1. Amanda McMullan Hargrove says:

Thinking of you both. Infertility is a hard road to go down- I’ve been there- and your situation makes it extra hard. I pray that all will go as planned and that you won’t have any trouble conceiving in the future. Focus now on getting well and before too long, hopefully you’ll be able to have some rugrats running around! We used Dr. Francisco Batres and we LOVED him!! He made the dream of another child a reality for us. Also, when the time does come, Dr. Wendel at UAMS is fantastic and is a high risk ob/gyn. All my love to both of you!!!

2. susan says:

Thinking of u heather. I so wish u were not having to fight this battle. U have a huge support system. NEVER NEVER b afraid to use it. I’m a good care giver I think. With my experience with mom things don’t throw me. So yell if u need help. Head up positive thoughts and try to address this as a war that has only u as its victor!!! Wearing ur bracelet.

3. Ms Sherry says:

Just like my sweet daughter said to me a year ago, “Cancer has messed with the wrong woman!” You are strong, beautiful and AMAZING. There is not one shred of doubt in my mind that you are going to kick this thing to the curb (and do it with an amazing pair of shoes on), and we are going to celebrate another victory! Just reading your blog, I know that you have the most incredible network of friends that are going to lift you up and love you through this fight. I love you and, like so many others, when I am not holding your hand, I will be holding you in my heart every step of the way! So put your best lip gloss on, break out a GREAT pair of shoes (I am sure Jeanne has some with your name all over them) and FIGHT FANCY!!

4. mybhive says:

I just want you to know I’ve been praying for you along with everyone else! You are truly an inspiration!

5. Bethany says:

Praying for you guys! Love you Heather!

6. Kristina says:

Thinking of you, praying for you. Xoxo

7. Cathy says:

I am Risa and Dennis’ friend and am praying for you. Go enjoy that vacation, you are in His good hands. Cathy