ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

This time last year I was in the middle of surgery getting a double mastectomy. I don’t think I slept at all the night before. Chemo is one thing, but having both breast removed was by far the most terrifying part of my journey. It’s easy to say,”they are just boobs. Take them off!” But for me, the scars that remain in their place are so much more than just boobs. They are a daily reminder of where I have been, where I am now and what I will continue to battle.

My breast surgeon came in my room at 5:30 that afternoon. She said with tears in her eyes “well Heather, we didn’t find cancer remaining in either breast. I’m proud to say you are cancer free.” I was surrounded by family who burst into applause, laughter and tears. It is a moment I will remember forever. TODAY, I’m proud to celebrate ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

Here I am one year ago today. I’ve never been so happy to be in so much pain!

20131105-082650.jpg

This picture makes me so happy! My family all loaded into the elevator, all smiles, as we get to leave the hospital CANCER FREE!

20131105-082926.jpg

Thank you all for following me on this journey. I can never express how loved and thankful I feel today. God is good!

Xoxo

Heather

6 Responses to ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

1. Brooke Wallace says:

Definitely a day to feel BLESSED!!! XOXO

2. Catherine Tapp says:

What a milestone! You have been through so much at such a young age. The road you have traveled was a winding one, and your tenacity and fighting spirit is an inspiration to so many. Today is a celebration of those two words that so many long to hear…Cancer Free. Here’s to you my fancy friend!

3. Martha Thomas says:

Praise the Lord! And yes, God is good. So proud of you & for you. I Love your blog and I’m going to come visit your store soon. Hallelujah!

4. Kristen says:

Yay Heather! What a happy day.

5. Barrett Feltus says:

Through struggles come joy! God has been with you and has made you a strong and faithful woman!

6. Pat My-S-Cap says:

I am so honored to witness your journey. You are one truly remarkable woman that serve as an inpersation to for so many..